Monday, August 11, 2008

Sailboats for Baby

P1020465

Finished! This photo doesn't show quite how cute this baby quilt turned out. In real life it isn't wonky at all. I hope the recipient family likes and uses it. As I've said numerous times before, I am unable to do subtle color combinations. I favor high contrast, particularly in children's projects. Baby's daddy gave me this theme idea. I've known him since my early teens and we reacquainted after college via sailing at Lake Michigan. I suppose he and his wife have been married about 10 years now. Where does the time go?

This is a log cabin block, which is about as easy a block as they come. I wanted to do sailboats, but didn't have the time to make a more complex applique project like any of THESE. I couldn't even find novelty sailboat fabric until I shopped online. Then, I was just a couple inches short of the fabric to do the back in one nice piece so I fudged it. I don't think it's really all that noticeable. I'm totally intimidated by machine quilting, but I managed, and babies don't care about that sort of thing.
P1020467

I was so relieved when I laundered it and the reds didn't run. They were in a discount fabric bundle of unknown origin. I noticed when I gathered up fabrics that I have a lot of little floral and leafy prints that don't go with a boyish sailboat theme. I'm going to keep this in mind when I collect for my fabric stash. This is another reason I don't like to craft things for men. I don't even have the right supplies!

Every baby quilt I've made I think that we should have a full size version to keep. This was no exception. My son wants to know when I'm making one of these for him.

4 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Gorgeous baby quilt. I made only two baby quilts, one for each of my boys. I think I'm done! It is harder to find prints that seem suitable for boys.

Bobbi said...

That quilt looks so sharp!! I love how the sailboats in the block look like they float into the background... just like a sailboat.

Tacha said...

Very nice quilt. I am lucky to have 2 girls but making quilts for friends is always hard when it is a boy!

Sarah said...

Very cute! Makes me want to go to the beach!