Monday, July 7, 2008

Hankies

Thread Crochet Edgings

What a relaxing weekend! the weather here was perfect. It was so cool, most of the bad mosquitoes were scarce.

Since I'm not crafting too much lately, here is a visit with one of my collections. I've been collecting vintage handkerchiefs for years. My mom gives me a little stack at almost every gifting opportunity. We find them at antique malls and they used to be had for about a dollar, but now they are more expensive.

My mom favors the ones with highly detailed thread crochet or tatted edgings.
Vintage Crochet Edgings

I love those, but I have a soft spot for the printed ones. Particularly if they have unusual colors. Mostly I have florals or nature motifs and not so much of the ones that are tourist souvenirs, although those are great too.

Interesting printed hankies

Occasionally, Mom finds printed ones that have beautiful handstitched edges:
Hankie Collection

Once Mom hosted a bridal brunch for a close family on the bride's wedding day and we gave several beautiful hankies from my collection as favors for the bridal party and the groom's family who had traveled all the way to Chicago from Brazil for the event. The bride used a beautiful elaborate white one at the altar and has saved it as a pretty keepsake.

Here's the pile of scraps from some of the hankies I used in a quilt as a gift for my mom. It was very difficult to get up the courage to cut into them, but I managed and the quilt turned out cute.
Cut up Hankies

I've clipped a lot of patterns and ideas for ways to use vintage hankies, but I hate to cut them up! This is only a small sample of my collection. I switch a few of them in and out of a couple of decorative places in the house, but mostly, they go into a beloved drawer that I browse through fairly regularly.

4 comments:

Tab said...

Beautiful. I just love hankies myself, the only tourist ones I do collect are ones from Wisconsin.

I love some of the unique color combinations in old hankies, and the fabric just has a wonderful feel to them. Thanks so much for sharing your collection.

Rebekah said...

I love all your hankies. They are beautiful. I see them all the time at antique stores and think that I should buy some but I never do. I hope you will show us more of your collection soon. I can live through you that way.

Lily Boot said...

Susie, the floral ones with the tatted/lace edges are just beautiful - my nanny used to collect bath towels with matching washers and crochet lace around the edge of them and then, when we visited, we would get to pick a towel and matching washer from the cupboard for our stay - I always picked the pink and red roses - they looked just like your hankies! :-) Thanks for sharing these lovely hankies and very nice photos!

Patty said...

Your hankies are so pretty. I love the quilt too.