Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fresh Dyed Yarn

Hand Dyed Wool Yarn

I've been making felted wool flowers and came to the point where I needed more colors. One 40% off coupon at JoAnns, a large skein of Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool, and several packets of Kool-Aid later and I have this fruity scented colored yarn. Yummy!

Here's the mess of dyeing supplies. Kool-Aid is a bit neon, so I toned down the colors a bit by splashing in diluted drops of complimentary colors. I also used vinegar and the microwave:
Wool Dye Supplies

Dozens of people have already done this and blogged tutorials, so I'm not going to bother with that. This is a great thing to do with the kids, but my kids are at school and I still think it's pretty fun! Knitty did an article about the process HERE. Note that Kool Aid and food dyes only work on protein fibers like wool or silk. It will not dye acrylic or cotton. It will also dye your fingers, but not permanently.

Here's a pic of the stuff I recently used up:
Wool Yarn Balls

I'm making flowers like these:
wool crochet flowers PinkRed Crochet Flower Pointsettia Crochet Flower Green Crochet Flower BlueBrown Crochet Flower Fall Crochet flower

I never get tired of flowers! These are stitched to safety pins because I like those much better than jewelry pin backs. They will be for sale at a craft show right here in Chicagoland. Check it out HERE.

2 comments:

Rebel said...

Those are adorable! I love kool-aid dying yarn!

kari and kijsa said...

Will you sell any of them over the web? I have been looking for crocheted flowers for my twin girls.

blessings, kari and kijsa