Saturday, April 21, 2007

Stack 'n Whack Quilt

This is the last quilt I made. The technique for a quick kaleidoscope effect is called Stack 'n Whack. I saw the technique once on the HGTV show, Simply Quilts and always wanted to try it. It so happens that this was only the 2nd quilting class I've ever taken. The first was the introduction to quilting which I took maybe 14 years ago. After that, I'm all self taught from television quilting teachers and books and magazines.

Anyway, I signed up for this class at my local quilt shop. The other ladies thought the swirly fabric I picked was pretty wild, but they were polite about it. They had greyed down florals and teddy bears which aren't so much my thing.

The swirly fabric has a tighter repeat, so my blocks didn't have a huge level of variety. To me, this shade of blue is very calming, so I like it as the background. I think this looks like pinwheels or.. well... I dunno, but it feels like breezy spring and summer to me...
I still haven't quilted this one, but I hang it up in our front stairwell anyway. Come to think of it.. it's the season for this quilt and I should get it hung up. That spot has been empty since I took the Santa quilt down after Christmas.

2 comments:

Rebel said...

Again, I'm impressed. I haven't done a stack & whack quilt yet, but I do like the kalidescope effect - zuma

Khris said...

Wow this is really effective. Love it. Khris in Oz